Lai Chi Wo is one of the best-preserved traditional Hakka villages in Hong Kong. It was built before 1670 and has a long history of farming. Some village houses are abandoned, but the restored Hip Tin Temple, Hok Shan Temple and village walls have re-instated some characteristics and vitality of the past.
Lai Chi Wo is named after its rich lychee harvest. In the 16th century, the Wong and Cheng clan had settled here, and it is a rare 2-clan village in Hong Kong. The village retains the traditional layout of 9 horizontal alleys and 3 vertical alleys. There is a feng shui wall at the front entrance, and a feng shui forest is planted behind the village to surround the village in a half moon shape.
The innovative revitalisation of the Lai Cho Wo rural cultural landscape was awarded the newly introduced Special Recognition for Sustainable Development by the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2020.