Sam Tung Uk Village is a Hakka walled village that was built by the Chan clan in the 51st year of Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty (1786). After moving from Guangdong in the mid-18th century, the clan settled in Tsuen Wan. Sam Tung Uk was founded by Chan Yam-shing, a leader of the clan, who constructed three rows of village houses, which were later expanded by his descendants, who built annexes on both sides and at the back of the houses.
The ancestral altar was placed in the main hall, which lay on the central axis and faced the main entrance. Four Chinese characters signifying “Chan Family Ancestral Hall” are engraved on the granite lintel above the door frame. The village was restored in 1987 and opened to the public as the Sam Tung Uk Museum.
With a history of over 200 years, Sam Tung Uk Village was declared a monument in 1981. It is very well preserved, and the excellent repair work has enabled the museum to win the 1990 Pacific Heritage Award by the Asia-Pacific Travel Association.